Mechanisms of Sarcopenia and Regenerative Decline During Aging of Skeletal Muscle
- Jerome N. Feige, PhD
- Nestlé Institute of Health Sciences
- Sarcopenia is a multifactorial condition, impacted by genetics, metabolic changes, exercise/activity levels and nutrition.
- Physical activity, exercise, and nutrition are all important in preventing and managing sarcopenia.
- The progression of sarcopenia has been associated with diets low in protein and vitamin B12 (cobalamin).
- Future research will focus on better defining sarcopenia and exploring both pharmacological and nutritional interventions.