Why Is Taurine Considered an Essential Nutrient for Cats?
Cats require adequate taurine, an essential amino acid, in their diet because, unlike dogs, they are not able to produce sufficient amounts themselves.
- Taurine is critical for many functions:
- Normal heart muscle activity
- Vision (key component of the retina)
- Reproduction in queens
- Development and growth of kittens
- Bile acid conjugation
- Taurine is found naturally in animal and fish proteins. Supplemental taurine can also be added to commercial pet foods to meet cats’ needs.